Blood glucose management
Get in touch with the future
B. Braun Space GlucoseControl realizes reliable management of glucose levels in critically ill adults and pediatric patients (aged ≥ 2 years) with a significantly reduced risk of hyper- and hypoglycemia. With its intelligent dosage algorithm, the B. Braun Space GlucoseControl integrates Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition and exactly determines insulin rate and next sampling time – helping you to easily control complex work processes with minimized episodes of hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia and blood glucose variability to improve patient outcome.
Risks of Hyper- and Hypoglycemia during clinical nutrition therapy:
- Mediation Error: stopping of the nutrition/carbohydrate infusion without stopping the insulin infusion is a common medication error on ICU
- The time of the next blood glucose sampling interval is often forgotten due to stress and work overload, which can lead to severe hypoglycemia or blood glucose variability.
- Mistyping or wrongly entered decimal points are a common source of errors putting patient at high risk with inappropriate insulin rates.
- Documentation of the nutrition data as well as the insulin protocol are time consuming and may lead to false entries.
- SGC automatically gives an alarm to check insulin once the nutrition infusion rate is changed or stopped
- SGC automatically gives an alarm shortly before and at the calculated next sampling time
- SGC checks input variables such as glucose values for plausibility:
An integrated supervisor system for insulin rate and measurement intervals ensures reliable output to prevent hypo- as well as hyperglycemia.
- SGC reporting tool ensures all nutrition and insulin data are recorded:
- time of administration
- carbohydrate intakes
- blood glucose values
- total insulin dosage administered
- time to target