High stoma output can have a huge impact on patient's life quality
Did you know that patients with a high-output stoma have to empty their bag 8 to 25 times per 24 hours?(1)
After a stoma surgery, some patients have to cope with high output which has a great impact on their quality of sleep as they have to wake up frequently in order to empty their bag. This condition has also an impact on their quality of life as they need to sleep more than usual so as to get along with their new health condition.
High stoma output management: the solution
Being fully concious about the negative impact that this situation has on patients' daily and social life, B. Braun has developed with the collaboration of ET nurses the Flow Collector - a 2L drainable distal collecting bag designed for the collection of high volumes of liquid stools. This solution in combination with our different drainable high-flow bags has been developed in order to improve the quality of sleep of ostomates who suffer from high-output stoma as well as offering them an optimal security at night so as to improve their recovery time. The Flow Collector can be connected to a high-flow bag which avoids frequent wake-up at night and therefore participates in the improvement of the life quality of the patient.
A positiv feedback
Finally, based on an observational survey conducted in France on 27 patients using the Flow Collector, the results of the survey have shown that the frequenwy of change decreased from every 4 hours to once every 24 hours on 70% of cases. 90% of patients have considered that the Flow Collector has improved their quality of life espcecially during the night because it contributed to a better sleep.(2)
Main characteristics of the Flow Collector
- Discrete: Thanks to its white opaque tube which is adjustable every 30 cm and a white opaque backing.
- Easy monitoring: A clear printed graduated scale is available on the collection bag which gives a clear indication every 250ml.
- Practical and hygienic outlet: The collection bag contains two grips which participate in the easy opening of the bag as well as a system to hold the cap during the emptying of the collecting bag.
- The Flow Collector is compatible with all our high-flow stoma bags.
- Easy and resistant connection between the bag and the Flow Collector.
Or see here a diet guide for health care professionals to provide ostomates with the right advice
Nutritional Guide for ostomy care givers A balanced diet can change ostomate's life.
|pdf (1.6 MB)||open|
(1) Slater R High-output stomas: challenges with a large laparostomy wound. BJN 2011; 21(6):S26-S33
(2) Rapport de l'enquête de la satisfaction Flow Collector, July 2014 - Data on file