Silver alginate wound paste
Askina® Calgitrol® Paste is a sterile dressing consisting of an ionic silver alginate matrix in paste form which provides for broad antimicrobial effectiveness and helps prevent contamination from external bacteria.
The high conformability allows a close contact between the active ionic silver alginate matrix and the wound bed.
- Broad antimicrobial effectiveness(2)
- Immediate availability of silver ions(1)
- Sustained controlled release to the wound bed during use of the dressing(1)
- Easy to use, no specific training or equipment necessary(2)
- Highly conformable(4)
- Allows extremely close contact between the active ionic silver alginate matrix and the wound bed, which is particularly valuable in difficult to manage wounds such as tunnels and sinuses
- Can be stored and used within 7 days, once opened and the lid reclosed after use(2)
- Available in 15g and 100g tubes
For the management of:
- Partial to full thickness wounds
- Stage I - IV pressure ulcers
- Venous, arterial and neuropathic ulcers
- Second degree burns
- Donor sites
It is indicated for external use only and may be used in the management of infected wounds under medical supervision at the discretion of the physician.
1) Opasanon S, Magnette A, Meuleniere F, Harding K. Askina® Calgitrol® Made Easy. Wounds International 2012; 3(1). Available from www.woundsinternational.com
2) Instruction for use: Askina® Calgitrol® Ag, Askina® Calgitrol® THIN, Askina® Calgitrol® Paste.
3) Trial C, Darbas H, Lavigne J-P, Sotto A, Simoneau G, Tillet Y, et al. Assessment of the antimicrobial effectiveness of a new silver alginate wound dressing: a RCT. J Wound Care. 2010Jan;19(1):20–6.
4) Wounds International. Using Askina® Calgitrol® Paste for the treatment of diabetic foot infection: case studies. London: Wounds International 2013. Available from www.woundsinternational.
Askina® Calgitrol® - How to use
Askina® Calgitrol® presentation