Local haemostatic agent
Lyostypt® is used for hemostasis of capillary bleeding, oozing hemorrhages, bleeding of parenchymal organs and as a supportive measure for other hemostasis techniques.
- Efficient Hemostasis [1-3]
- Cost efficient 
- Absorbed in 3 weeks [4-6]
- Excellent biocompatibility 
Control of bleeding in arterial bypass anastomosis 
- Prospective, randomized clinical trial
- Comparison of fibrillar collagen (Lyostypt®) versus oxidized regenerated cellulose (Surgicel®) 
- Hemostatic effect and handling properties were rated in suture hole bleeding of peripheral arterial bypass anastomosis using PTFE graft prosthesis
- N = 64 anastomoses (32 Lyostypt®, 32 Surgicel®)
Bleeding time of the anastomoses
- Fibrillar collagen showed significantly faster hemostasis (124 ± 67 sec) compared to oxidized regenerated cellulose (416 ± 226 sec) in suture hole bleedings of arterial bypass anastomosis 
Fibrillar collagen stopped suture hole bleeding of the anastomoses in less than 3 minutes in over 80 % of cases. Oxidized cellulose needed more than 5 minutes to stop suture hole bleeding in most of the anastomoses performed. 
Summary of Advantages of Lyostypt® vs Oxidized cellulose according COBBANA Trial 
- Faster hemostasis than oxidized cellulose in suture hole bleedings of arterial bypass anastomosis
- Better adhesion to tissue and surgical handling than oxidized cellulose in suture hole bleedings of arterial bypass anastomosis
- Lower amount of material needed to stop bleeding in comparison to oxidized cellulose
 Santhosh Kumar MP. Local hemostatic agents in the management of bleeding in oral surgery. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2016;9:3.
 Qerimi B, Baumann P, Husing J, Knaebel HP, Schumacher H. Collagen hemostat significantly reduces time to hemostasis compared with cellulose: COBBANA, a single-center, randomized trial. Am J Surg. 2013;205(6):636-41.
 Fontana T, Silvestri V, Falco N, Venturelli P, Licari L, De Marco P, Gulotta E, Gulotta L, Cocorullo G. Fibrin sealant agents: clinical application of Tachosil® in abdominal surgery. Six years experience in an emergency surgery department and review of the literature. Il Giornale di chirurgia. 2018;39(5):326-330.
 [Data on file] Weber. Summary of animal studies to test three different hemostatic devices, which are used to stop severe liver bleeding (2006).
 [Data on file] Weber. Research program testing hemostatic compress material (Sangustop) in a functionality study (Hemostasis of severe liver bleedings) (2007).
 Chattopadhyay S, Raines RT. Review collagen-based biomaterials for wound healing. Biopolymers. 2014;101(8):821-33.
 Baumann P et al. A randomized controlled, prospective trial to evaluate the haemostatic effect of Lyostypt® versus Surgicel® in arterial bypass anastomosis: ‘Cobbana‘ Trial. Trials. 2009;10:91.
|pdf (295.0 KB)||open|