With sensitivity and precision
Manual dexterity, an eye for details and the right “tools” are indispensable for surgeons. Gottfried Jetter started manufacturing surgical instruments in Tuttlingen in 1867. What began as a small workshop expanded rapidly after his brothers-in-law Karl-Christian und Wilhelm Scheerer joined him, and they quickly became famous, thanks to outstanding quality and precision craftsmanship. Their vision is what led to success. Scalpels, scissors, tweezers, needles, forceps – the company, which later changed its name to Aesculap, has always specialized in the production of instruments for diagnostics, dentistry, veterinary medicine and, of course, surgery.
Only a few years later, Jetter’s company already offered a comprehensive product line. More innovations came in the decades that followed; in the field of abdominal surgery, for example, the first forceps-shaped suturing machine with metal clips to allow reliable stapling in the gastro-intestinal tract was introduced in 1922. Products for cardiothoracic and vascular surgery were added to the portfolio. Innovative motors for bone surgery were also developed: the first surgical electric motor appeared in 1935, followed by the first pneumatic motor in 1967.
The second half of the 20th century Aesculap branched out to become a specialist supplier of orthopedic implants such as hip and knee joints. Pioneering research in spinal surgery and neurosurgery grew in importance; in fact, B. Braun’s pioneering spirit and quest for perfection are still the driving force behind our efforts to support surgery today. Solutions made with high technological manufacturing standards help to improve people’s health: outstanding precision for minimally invasive procedures or the accurate fitting of artificial knee or hip joints, for example. B. Braun provides a wide and diverse range of services and solutions to cover every aspect of surgical and operative processes in clinics, laboratories or operating room.