You have successfully logged out.
Stop pressure ulcer formation
It is the story of Miguel Jopia Cuevas, a 60-year-old family father from Chile who had contracted COVID-19. After spending 39 days in hospital, he was discharged with a severe lumbosacral decubitus ulcer.
In the video below, he reveals the tremendous impact of the pressure ulcer on all aspects of his life – emotions, family and his profession.
You will learn about his suffering and the consequences, not to mention the high costs associated with the subsequent treatment of the stage 3 pressure ulcer by a home care nurse.
1) Range varies among settings and classification method.
Bereded DT, Salih MH, Abebe AE. Prevalence and risk factors of pressure ulcer in hospitalized adult patients; a single center study from Ethiopia. BMC Res Notes. 2018;11(1):847. Published 2018 Nov 29. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6267874/
Vanderwee K, Clark M, Dealey C, Gunningberg L, Defloor T. Pressure ulcer prevalence in Europe: a pilot study. J Eval Clin Pract. 2007;13(2):227-35. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17378869)
Barrois B, Labalette C, Rousseau P, et al. A national prevalence study of pressure ulcers in French hospital inpatients. J Wound Care. 2008;17(9):373-6, 378-9. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18833894)
Shahin ES, Dassen T, Halfens RJ. Pressure ulcer prevalence and incidence in intensive care patients: a literature review. Nurs Crit Care. 2008;13(2):71-9 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18289185)
Vangilder C, Lachenbruch C, Algrim-boyle C, Meyer S. The International Pressure Ulcer Prevalence™ Survey: 2006-2015: A 10-Year Pressure Injury Prevalence and Demographic Trend Analysis by Care Setting. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2017;44(1):20-28 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27977509)
2) Gefen, A. How much time does it take to get a pressure ulcer? Integrated evidence from human, animal, and in vitro studies. HYPERLINK "https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18927481"Ostomy Wound Manage. 2008 Oct;54(10):26-8, 30-5.
3) Chapter 12- Pressure Ulcers: A Patient Safety Issue (2008), Agency for HealthCare Research and Policy (US).
5) Hovan H, MSN, RN-BC, APRN-CNS, CWOCN-AP, (2019), Breaking Down the Braden Scale: Building Blocks for Pressure Injury Prevention. WoundSource & Kestrel Health Information5) IFU MDD Linovera®
6) IFU MDD Linovera®
7) IFU MDD Linovera® Emulsion
8) Otero DP, Domínguez DV, Fernández LH, Magariño AS, González VJ, Klepzing JV, Montesinos JV. Preventing facial pressure ulcers in patients under non-invasive mechanical ventilation: a randomised control trial. J Wound Care. 2017 Mar 2;26(3):128-136. doi: 10.12968/jowc.2017.26.3.128. PMID: 28277990.
9) López Escribano, Alonso, García Alcaraz, Francisco, Jareño Collado, Patricia, García Aranos, José, & García Piqueras, Nieves. (2007). Hyperoxygenated fatty acid effectiveness in the prevention of the pressure ulcers. Gerokomos, 18(4), 39-43.
10) Fletcher J, Beeckman D, Boyles A et al (2020) International Best Practice Recommendations: Prevention and management of moisture-associated skin damage (MASD). Wounds International. Available online at www.woundsinternational.com
11) IFU MDR Askina® Barrier Film Spray